Sunday 9 October 2011

TRYING OUT THE DRAWING STYLES OF INFLUENTIAL ARTISTS

Having researched some artists who painted/drew femme fatales, I thought I'd try out their styles and see how my Mantis could look.
The first drawing is of my shortish dumpy body, and how it could look cat-woman style with elongated limbs and a glamour figure. Much as I like this idea its not really got the femininity I'm after, and whilst its sexy its not really seductive.
The second drawing I really like, perhaps because it is so covered and leaves everything to the imagination. Ive included a mantis claw to hint at the morph, and Chinese style face on account of it being a Chinese mantis.
The third drawing, in the style of Erte, is interesting because in his original he merged peacock feathers with the arm and the model could have been spliced with the bird, its so organically drawn. I have tried to emulate this with my mantis claw and camouflaging leaf.  I am quite pleased with the effect, but it only really works on 1920s model figures, which are quite androgenous and not very seductive.

CAT WOMAN'S BODY VERSUS CHRISSIE'S BODY
TIM BURTON STYLE

IN THE STYLE OF ERTE

3 comments:

  1. I love this set of drawings, Chrissie. I just like all three of them - and I think your analysis of them is right, though there's something rather fun about the 'cat woman' pose - something playful. Really cute, crisp drawings - very illustrative. Delightful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I wish I could have gotten such an awesome creature to base my project around. All I got was a stinkin' seahorse. :C

    Anyway, great concepts here! However, they seem more like outfits than anything else. Perhaps you could find a way to experiment with a more insect-like approach. Maybe deform the human body in its raw form.
    Just a suggestion. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! I'd have liked a seahorse, all that skeleton to work with! The mantis is awesome though.
    You are right though, they are outfits. Ive been trying to steer away from the Deadly Mantis morph with a human head spliced on top of a mantis body, but maybe some deformity would give it an edge...*back to the sketchbook*

    ReplyDelete